The Academy was founded to promote, support and recognize excellence in teaching in the continuum of medical education. The Academy, through its programs, will help advance careers in medical education. The Academy, through its members, will support and inspire innovations in the educational mission of Maine Medical Center, provide advice to the education leadership and promote the importance of teaching and programmatic excellence at MMC. All Academy members are active participants as teachers, education scholars and leaders throughout the continuum of medical education at MMC and its affiliated institutions. As a component of the MMC Institute for Teaching Excellence (MITE) the members of the Academy actively support the programs of MITE.
The mission of the Academy at MITE is to develop, promote, and recognize excellence in teaching throughout the continuum of medical education.
The Academy will transform the MMC academic environment and culture to establish MMC as a national leader in medical education.
Goals of the Academy
- Promote diversity within the MMC community of educators
- Advance careers in academic medicine
- Cultivate leaders and mentors
- Foster innovation, research and scholarship in medical education
- Recognize teaching excellence
- Develop collaborative interprofessional educational models
- Define and advocate for policies that advance the academic mission